Category Archives: picked up along the way
Everyone who has ended up here has for sure one time or other pondered the meaning of that simple four letter word to which there is no real definition. Everyone has their own ideas or beliefs attached to it, making it all the more bearable.
I have my fleeting ideologies too, more often than not residing closely to karma and dharma, i have no belief in athma though which makes my beliefs not have the weight they normally carry. Anyways, i have heard some interesting ideas and wanted to letit out into the world, hear similar ideas or contrasting emotions..
1. The Higher Purpose Principle: We are born to serve a higher purpose. The days we are alive, merely a web of interlinked events, aimed at delivering one final act, one powerhouse performance, one stupendous event that we might never realize even happened.
2. The Evolution Principle: This I found hilarious but maybe more true than any of us are ready to accept, we are just another of natures experiments, a part of the evolutionary chain, that will be discarded sometime in the future without a second thought as a better, faster, smarter species takes over.
3. The Nonsense Theory: The whole idea being that it makes no sense and thinking about it makes no sense, discussing this makes no sense either and writing about it is also just to prove that it is total nonsense.
4. The Me theory: This one is awesome and something Barney Stinson should adopt. The core idea being that everything that happened was leading to me being born and everything thats happening after is for my personal entertainment or education (the tough parts as Calvin’s dad puts it ” Builds Charachter”)
5. Karma / Dharma: The cause and effect principle underlying Hinduism, Budhism and Jainism, it has variants in all religions. Simply that everything that we do has an after effect, which means I am headed to a terrifying end that is getting closer. Cant wait.
6. All this made me make up The Tito Principle, which sees its very first expression here and now: Any discussion or thoughts on this topic is moot. Noone has a clue and the conversational arguments are getting stale.
PS: In case you haven’t noticed, I avoided the word Life in the text above. But always wanted to start and end a post with the same word and so lets see who can life define ?
Have decided to start jotting down the random things that suddenly enlighten me to some very big truths. So, here goes no. 1 on the list
1. Most men do not understand a word when two women are chatting (we prefer it that way), until and unless they decide to use a code trying to make it difficult to understand (often making us perk our ears up and take notice, often to find the so called code so easy to break that it makes us feel secure to go back to day dreaming).
Special thanks here to Bella.
The long drive home on a weekend is due
A tradition of sorts and a yearning not new
Every journey has its end and its the road that matters
Life is what you make of it, no matter if each new dream shatters
Just the road makes for a nice long story
Happy or sad the ending, not to worry
There were plenty before you that went this way
And many more to follow the silent sentinels say
The old wise trees are witness to your travels, one and all
The will not judge you or tell you for whom the bells toll
A new world arises for us as for them another falls
We are but a flicker of a candle in times eternal halls
Every trip has an image etched in memory, faded but precious
Some of friends, of lovers, of stolen kisses and fights vicious
Some of strangers standing out in the maddening crowd
I hold them close, those places near, those smells familiar and those voices loud
I remember you most of all in all that went by
Of that one trip, just you and I
Of the hug that left me wanting to just be
Forever together, carved as in stone but absolutely free
Before anyone reads into it, its just my entry into a flash fiction competition hosted by a friend..
“We are a nation of unrealistic optimists.” – Tia
Alright , this entry is not my writing at all.. This is a friend of mine who went around being an angel just before XMas.. BTW i was the guy who called her 🙂
It was one of those usually lazy Sunday mornings when a friend’s phone call woke me up. “Will you become angel today?” he asked.“What?” I was surprised and startled.
“I mean that we are going to visit various shelter homes and celebrate Christmas with the kids. We are planning to take Santa Claus and angels with us and you can play one of the angels if you wish….”
Five minutes later, I was getting ready for the day and within an hour I was at the place where all of us were supposed to meet. I changed into the fairy’s attire and felt great about myself. I was looking ahead to a fun-filled Sunday and this was going to be wonderful, I was thinking, happily getting my snaps taken by the team members.
It was not until we reached the first shelter home that the mist started clearing…… This was not fun, this was for some purpose. I was going through one of the most memorable days of my life, a day which had the capability to influence my thinking forever; a day in a life, or a life in a day!
We went to six different places, and all of them gave me the same message: look out of your own troubles and see that others have problems too; problems quite graver than your own, problems which make you feel as if you are insulting your own life by calling it boring, and by not recognizing how beautiful it is.
I was visiting them to make them feel better and connected with mainstream of life, and I hope I succeeded in that purpose to quite an extent. But moreover I learned to look at life with a new perspective. My hitherto life full of complaints about my own looks, my status, my friends, my boring routine and all the things around me, suddenly seemed to be full of blessings. I counted my blessings and lost the count after a while.
But this was not the end, as more striking revelations kept coming my way the whole day. What good was I doing to the community with all my blessings? I have been endowed with these not just for spending a cheerful and colourful butterfly of a life, but I have the power and the capability to give something back to it, as a token of gratitude, as a symbol of compassion.
However all the places we visited that day were melancholic, two of them moved my heart the most. One was the Juvenile home, where children in conflict with the law are kept. The gloomy faces of the inmates were already hurting me. To add to that, one of them, a lad of 13-14 years was shedding tears silently. I don’t know what was there in his tears but it was a painful sight. The other one was an orphanage, where one of the residents came close to me despite of my awe-inspiring angel’s get-up, asked my name and hugged me warmly with so much of affection that I felt poor in front of him. I blessed him with my angel’s wand, but deep within me, I knew he blessed me.
By the evening I was tired but felt that it was a day well lived. I promised myself two things: First, I will respect my life, will be thankful for all that I have and will not complain about the small shortfalls as they are there to enrich our lives and spice it up; Second, I will regard all the fellow human beings with honour, love and dignity. It’s not something that I will give them because I am so great, it’s because it’s my duty and their right and they deserve it.
At the end of the day, all I had was a smile on my lips and tears in my eyes, and yes, lots of blessings too!!
Recently I came through these lines by Mother Teresa:
“At the end of life we will not be judged by how many diplomas we have received, how much money we have made, how many great things we have done.
We will be judged by ‘I was hungry and you gave me to eat, I was naked and you clothed me, I was homeless and you took me in.’
Hungry not only for bread — but hungry for love. Naked not only for clothing — but naked for human dignity and respect. Homeless not only for want of a room of bricks. but homeless because of rejection”.
…very true indeed!
Alrite here’s the second installment to the tales..
Our lady, CC used t ostay in a room with a couple of her friends somewhere in the urban jungle that is north india.. one day she had a whim to have soemthing different to eat.. So she set off to Mc.Donald’s with a friend in an auto ” Bhaiyya , take me to McD’s” says our lady and the autowallah dutifully takes her there not charging the exhorbitant amounts they usually do.. But our heroine not finding anything to match her tastes decides she needs Indian after all.. Walks out with her firend , hails the first auto she sees , gets in and says ” Bhaiyya take me to Bhollu Bhaiyya Chats please”.. now for the unitiated the abovesaid Bhollu Bhaiyya chats is not something like universal bakers in hyd or sweet chariot in blore.. it is a small pushcart that stands below her apartment everyday at around 6.. The plight of the autowalla was even more awful once our lady realised her mistake because she could then not stop laughing at herself long enough to tell him the actual location of her adobe.. How she finally reached home is another story.. saved for later
There is this girl i know, lets call her Chamak challo for protecting her identity. These are original stories from her very extraordinary existence.
The one about Dust in the Eye
Our herione, CC for short, was riding a bike with her mother on the pillion along the very empty roads of her hometown in India.. Since the traffic was low and because she never actually rides slowly the speedometer was also at the higher end… A sudden burst of wind and the dust that seems the curse of our roads was up swirling around her, a little went to her eyes.. (Now, the logical thing would be to stop the bike and wait for the wind to pass but our lady defies and denies the existence of any such thing).. She just closed her eyes and rode on, after all with noone on the road how bad could it be? her question was answered shortly by the pavement she found herself on beside her mother.. Thankfully her mother is yet to find out the reason for the fall yet..
How do i know this? the lady in question doesnt think twice about spilling her rather humorous accidents to anyone who is willing to listen..
So here are words of wisdom from a three month old management guru 😀
1. Cover your Ass- Be careful that even if you are responsible for something that went wrong there is a fall guy.
2. Listen well and you shall be saved- There will always be enough loopholes you can slip through, listen well, read the fine print and i promise you , you’ll get away with almost anything
3. Mix business with pleasure at your own risk. Lets say you decide to target a particularly lovely resource do your research including how many others above you are already eyeing for the same pie. They have the experience , so start working on the charm. And yeah, dont cross swords where tact will do.
4. Make friends from the lowest level to the highest, the ones in high places sometimes cant do the things the ones in low places can.(and no pawan , i dont mean that literally)
5. Stop worrying about things beyond you , all deadlines can be moved, all contracts can be rewritten and all designs can be changed. (Remember Murphy’s Law)
6. Use first names only where applicable, dont exceed the limits.. That ways they wont either.
7. Take control slowly and sublimally, make urself indispensable.
The old cow theory- a bull once it has made love with a cow doesnt touch the same cow again. He then looks for new cows.. (Movie: Someone like You)
The Theory of Three- If a gal says shes seen ‘n’ people after u parted ways , the true number is 3*n.. If a guy says hes seen ‘n’ gals it means 3/n people..(Movie : American Pie 2)
The Choas Theory- It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly’s wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway across the world. (Movie : The Butterfly Effect)
Anyman can sweep any woman off her feet , provided he has the right broom (Movie : Hitch)
Movies give us such lines that i cant help but smile at how logical it actually sounds..
Now something i find really true..
Man, I see in fight club the strongest and smartest men who’ve ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don’t need. We’re the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War’s a spiritual war… our Great Depression is our lives. We’ve all been raised on television to believe that one day we’d all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won’t. And we’re slowly learning that fact. And we’re very, very pissed off. (Movie : Fight Club)
Cats arent my favorite animal.. they are mean arrogant lil balls of fur that some how manage to look down their noses at everything and everyone else from a height of 1feet..
So here i post something i picked up and so so agree with..
“Cats are like witches. They don’t fight to kill, but to win. There is a difference. There’s no point in killing an opponent. That way, they won’t know they’ve lost, and to be a real winner you have to have an opponent who is beaten and knows it. There’s no triumph over a corpse, but a beaten opponent, who will remain beaten every day of the remainder of their sad and wretched life, is something to treasure!!!” — Terry Pratchett, Witches Abroad.